- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup lungo coffee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of espresso Mbeya would be perfect here!)
- 1/4 cup pod and parcel extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons toffee bits (usually found in stores with the chocolate chips), divided
- 1/4 cup chopped banana chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix banana and coffee in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and instant espresso.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and the banana-coffee mixture and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon or a spatula until just incorporated. Fold in 1/2 cup toffee bits.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle the top of the loaf with the remaining toffee bits and banana chips, then return to oven for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. *Don't worry about getting all the banana chips on top of the loaf if they don't all fit; you don't want to weigh down the top of the loaf too much to make sure it bakes evenly inside.* Let stand in pan 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, then slice.
Get some Mbeya now!Shop Now